Home Sports An explanation was requested after the Brazil-Argentina match at the MCG was...

An explanation was requested after the Brazil-Argentina match at the MCG was canceled Football

64
0

Victoria’s Minister of Events and Sports Martin Pakula said he was “quite angry” with Argentina’s decision to abandon the contract agreement to play with Brazil’s fiercest rivals Melbourne Next month.

The South American heavyweights were to meet in front of the crowd bumper in the MCG on June 11th. Pakula said about 60,000 tickets had been sold out since they went on sale last month.

The match was originally scheduled as part of the teams’ preparations for this year’s World Cup in Qatar, but organizers and the Brazilian Football Assembly announced on Wednesday that the match would not be held due to Argentina’s reluctance to go.

“Unfortunately, the organizers of the event were informed by Pitch, the agent of the Superclasico matches on June 11, 2022, that contrary to their previous agreement and commitment to do so, Argentina is no longer ready to go to Australia for the match against Brazil“- said the organizers.

The Brazilian federation CBF confirmed the news of the cancellation, saying the decision was made by the Argentine federation.

The Argentine Football Assembly did not comment on the issue, leaving the Victoria government in search of answers.

“I think they owe it to Australian football fans to explain because they didn’t give an acceptable explanation to the promoter,” Pakula said. “I know that Brazil is very upset. It really affects their preparation for the World Cup.

“It’s a game that would be extremely popular here in Melbourne. I welcome the promoter’s comments that all fans will receive a full refund. “

The last time the South American giants played Superclassics at MCG five years ago, more than 95,000 fans came to watch such as Lionel Messi.

The cancellation stems from FIFA’s decision Monday that the two teams will still have to play in a qualifying match that was suspended shortly after the start and was never completed because officials complained about Argentine players violating Covid protocols. -19.

FIFA wants the game to take place in September this year, a couple of months before the FIFA World Cup final in Qatar, but both teams, which automatically qualified at the top of their South American group, have not committed to playing it.

Juninho Paulista, coordinator of the Brazilian team, said at a press conference: “The statement came from AFA [the Argentine federation]officially and they informed us of this decision.

“We were prepared with all the logistics for this game, because we understood that we had to fulfill the contract,” he added.

Organizers now say they are “working with key stakeholders relevant to the match to consider all match options and provide further updates as soon as possible.”

Ticket holders will be entitled to a refund, details of the process will be provided soon, organizers added.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/may/12/explanation-demanded-after-brazil-argentina-match-at-mcg-called-off

Previous articleJosh Friedenberg says Morrison government believes in “silent majority”
Next articleBLANCHAR MAKE FORMULA FORD RETURN