P-plates and learner drivers have been warned that using one type of plate could cause permanent damage to their vehicles.
Although popular with learner drivers, magnetic plates are easy to remove, but can leave scratches and marks after use.
One mom shared her experience with her daughter’s magnetic plates, revealing that they left a white cast on her car after just two days.
“We had a P plate on our car for two days max and it was covered in paint,” she said on the popular Cleaning & Organizing Inspiration Australia Facebook page.
“Horrible isn’t it, and it’s only been a couple of days.”
Many magnetic plates come with warnings not to leave them on the vehicle unless needed, and that “prolonged attachment to the vehicle may cause paint damage.”
The post drew a lot of comments from other parents who didn’t know the plates could damage family cars.
“Let’s throw ours in the trash right now. I had no idea,” said one man.
“Wow, I didn’t even know this existed,” added another.
Meanwhile, others said they had similar experiences with magnetic plates, even that they “messed up” their first machines.
“If it had happened a year ago, when I was also on temporary duty. Eventually they melted into the paint. He was unhappy, – commented one.
“They didn’t have a warning on the magnetics when I used them years ago. As a result, I had two magnetic squares on my car that melted and stuck. I never took mine off.”