Home World Halloween: Perth boy injured after toy gun explodes

Halloween: Perth boy injured after toy gun explodes


A Perth boy has been hospitalized with serious burns to his hands after gunpowder capsules exploded inside a Halloween-related toy.

Logan Dyson, 11, a boy from High Wycombe, was opening the caps to load them into the gun when several of the capsules exploded, leaving him with second-degree burns described by Western Australia’s Consumer Protection Service as “severe”.

The incident, which is being investigated by consumer protection, has led to a wider warning about Halloween toys, costumes and accessories.

Acting chief executive Penny Lipscomb said the body would report to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission following an investigation that would try to determine whether there was “something fundamentally wrong with the product”.

Ms Lipscomb said the retailer had removed the product both in-store and online, and said the supplier and retailer would be interviewed as part of the investigation.

“We need to find out very quickly whether this incident is a one-off or whether there is something fundamentally wrong with the product or its packaging that could make it unsafe for others,” she said.

Ms Lipscomb said consumers should be aware of the potential risks posed by Halloween products, particularly flickering items such as flashlights, fake candles, wands and battery-operated torches.

“Unfortunately, the statistics on button batteries are worrying,” Ms Lipscombe said, adding that one child a month in Australia was seriously injured after swallowing or inserting a button.

“That’s why it’s so important when buying battery-powered Halloween novelties to check that the battery compartment is secured with a screw or similar fastener so little ones can’t gain access, and that it’s sturdy enough to withstand rough handling with a little trickery. or cleaners,” she said.

“Also, make sure any toys or novelties are age-appropriate and not a choking hazard.”

Ms Lipscomb said children dressed in dark Halloween costumes should add glow sticks or reflective strips to improve visibility to others, and said they should choose flame-resistant and flame-resistant outdoor heat sources such as flashlights and heaters.

Originally published as An 11-year-old boy was hospitalized after the toy gun’s capsules exploded


Previous articleThe Overdrive Podcast Radio Program, Episode 43 – 2022
Next articleNRL coach Paul Green had an undiagnosed brain condition, a post-mortem has revealed