John Farnham’s recovery from cancer surgery is going well, according to his family, after he was transferred to a rehabilitation facility this week.
The 73-year-old singer was moved from intensive care to a general ward at Melbourne Hospital “a couple of weeks ago”, his wife Jill Farnham said in a statement on Thursday morning, before he was transferred to a rehabilitation facility this week. “That in itself was tremendous progress,” she said.
“Each of these steps means that things are moving in the right direction, and for that we are very grateful.”
Farnham survived An 11½-hour surgical procedure in Melbourne on August 23. The operation involved two processes – the first was to remove the tumor itself, the second was reconstructive surgery on Farnham’s jaw, part of which was cut out during the first operation.
“Our family is very grateful to all the wonderful teams of Victorian health professionals who looked after John so well,” Jill Farnham and sons Rob and James said today. “These results are a credit to their dedication, skill and compassion.
“His medical team is very pleased with his progress over the last month.”
A week after the first surgical procedure, Jill Farnham said that “the cancer … was successfully removed. We still have a long road of recovery and treatment ahead of us, but we know John is up to the task.”
Universally known as The Voice after his 1986 hit You are the Voice, Farnham’s last performance was at a bushfire benefit concert in February 2020. He was joined on stage that night by Olivia Newton-John, who lost her long battle with cancer last month.