Here’s what you need to know this morning.
The parents are expected to testify about the asbestos probe
Teachers and parents of a secondary school in Sydney’s north-west will appear before a parliamentary inquiry into asbestos today – six years after it was found on the premises.
The school community said Castle Hill High School was not told that some buildings had tested positive for asbestos in 2016.
Parents are concerned that they have been kept in the dark, and some are considering pulling their children out of school.
“We’ve had to check freedom of information requests and look at parliamentary documents to try and get an idea of what’s going on at the school in terms of the risk to our children,” parent Jeremy Henson said.
“That much asbestos is an accident and I don’t know if there have been accidents or near misses this year.
“There were a lot of issues this year that were not disclosed to parents.”
Mr Henson is among those due to give evidence at today’s inquest.
Fatal teenager in court
An 18-year-old charged with careless driving in a horrific crash that killed five teenagers in Sydney’s south-west earlier this month could apply for bail in court this morning.
Tyrrell Edwards was driving the car that crashed into a tree in Buxton on September 6 with five passengers aged between 14 and 16.
They all died at the scene and Edwards was the only survivor.
He was charged with five counts of dangerous driving causing death and dangerous driving.
He was remanded in custody and refused bail by Picton Local Court less than 48 hours later.
It should reappear today.
The police are calling for witnesses
Police are appealing for witnesses to two fatal car crashes in central New South Wales last week.
A 29-year-old man driving a utility vehicle and a 63-year-old female passenger in another vehicle were killed in one of the accidents in Gulma near Dubbo on Friday afternoon.
Two more adults and three children were seriously injured.
A 26-year-old man was also killed Friday night in a two-vehicle crash near Alektin, north of Parks.
The railway union and the government resume private negotiations
The rail union and the New South Wales government will resume conciliation talks at the Fair Work Commission this afternoon.
It is hoped that the private talks will iron out the dispute with the enterprise agreement.
Last weekend, the union abandoned industrial action planned for this Wednesday and reversed the shutdown of Opal card machines.
It comes after the government applied to the Fair Work Commission to declare the action “unprotected”.
The secretary of the Rail, Tram and Bus Union, Alex Klassens, said they were committed to continuing negotiations.
“Any opportunity to sit down at the negotiating table is good,” he said.
“But . . . if the government is not serious about sending a decision-maker to have those conversations and actually reach an agreement, then the ball is squarely and squarely in the government’s court.”
Flooding has hit northeastern New South Wales
Residents in the northeastern NSW town of Ganeda clean up after a weekend of floodwaters this morning.
Local resident Michael Edmunds said the town was unprepared for the morning’s flooding.
“There were houses with 12 centimeters of water in every room of their house, making it unlivable,” he said.
“Without help, it’s pretty hard for people to do things on their own.”
More flooding is expected in the region this week.
Western NSW SES spokesman David Rankin said heavy downpours were likely to hit the city by Thursday.
“We’re seeing forecasts of 30 to 60 millimeters midweek,” he said.
“And we’re concerned that the flooding that we experienced Friday night and Saturday night, if we get that kind of rain, there’s every chance we’ll see very similar flooding around the same time Thursday, Friday, Saturday.”