Casual people who risked their lives to help drivers trapped in their cars after a fire crash of several cars on Sydney’s Harbor Bridge are praised for their courage.
Three people were injured in an accident that caused the car to overturn and catch fire, and as a result the battle bridge was closed at rush hour.
An online video camera that recorded the crash shows a black Toyota Kluger heading north head-on colliding with a white Toyota HiAce van before the Kluger overturns and lands on the roof and explodes into flames.
A Honda CRV car was also involved in the accident.
Seconds after the impact you can see passers-by running towards the black 4WD and HiAce to help the trapped drivers.
The images, which are broadcast live, show the flames stretching for meters into the air from the blackened overturned car in the fifth and sixth lanes at the end of the bridge near the Circular Quay.
data-s = “video / mp4″>
An employee of the Traffic Control Center, who was nearby, reportedly heard a collision and arrived at the scene, helping to distract HiAce and its trapped driver from the fire.
“One of the traffic commanders approached the incident at the earliest stages because he heard it, and in fact distracted the van in which the man was trapped from another vehicle that was on fire,” – said the NSW fire and rescue service. . Superintendent Matt Sigmund told Nine’s Today to show.
Six ambulances were called to the scene, as well as police and the NSW fire and rescue service.
NSW Ambulance Inspector Giles Buchanan said several bystanders and other emergency workers risked their lives to help.
«[They] are absolute heroes, we can’t thank them enough, ”he said.
“One of the cars was on fire well when we arrived at the scene, it was an extraordinary effort to safely get the patient out of the car.”
The fire crash caused road chaos when the bridge – the main thoroughfare in the CBD from the north – was forced to close in both directions more than an hour after the crash, which occurred around 7am on Monday.
Police later said they believed Kluger had been abducted from Sydney’s Central District shortly before the crash.
Rescue police worked to free a man believed to be in his 20s who was trapped by HiAce. He suffered serious pelvic injuries and was taken to St. Vincent’s Hospital in a serious but stable condition.
Drivers of other vehicles, a man, presumably 30 years old, and a woman, presumably 60 years old, were assisted at the scene by paramedics.
A 30-year-old man was suspected of having a head injury and was taken to Royal North Shore Hospital in critical condition. Police said he was under guard and received non-life-threatening injuries.
The woman suffered minor injuries and was taken to Royal Prince Alfred Hospital.
Mr Sigmund said that on arrival the crews saw “large volumes of thick black smoke coming from one of the cars”.
“Fortunately, the man in the car was able to get out safely, and they were assisted by an NSW ambulance,” he told Nine Network.
An investigation is underway into the accident, police said.
Emergency services remained on Sydney’s Harbor Bridge until 8:20 a.m., and drivers were urged to tour the entire city center or postpone the trip.
By 10.30 all lanes were open.
Trains continued to move across the bridge.
Traffic was heavy all over Sydney, and anyone traveling through the city should have plenty of extra time, Transport NSW said.
“Traffic is very heavy on all major routes approaching Sydney’s Harbor Bridge, including Gore Hill Highway, Military Road, Western Distributor and Victoria Road,” authorities said.
Anyone with information or video of the accident is asked to contact Crimes at 1800 333 000.
– with AAP