Pop star Guy Sebastian has resumed giving testimony after a trial in the case of embezzlement of his former manager was adjourned after the judge’s death.
Titus Emanuel Day, 49, has pleaded not guilty to 50 counts, including fraudulent embezzlement of money allegedly owed to Sebastian through royalties and royalties.
He also denies 50 alternative articles on theft or theft.
Peter Zahra, one of the oldest judges of the NSW District Court, died earlier this month after a suspected stroke after the Australian singer took the position.
Judge Timothy Gartelman announced Monday that he would take over the trial and has so far reviewed the evidence.
Crown Attorney David Morters SC continued to ask Sebastian questions via an audiovisual link after the star became infected with COVID-19.
The musician, who has recently been cured of the virus, has for years been accepted through various royalty payments.
In one email, Daya expressed concern that he did not receive commissions from a single account that paid artists directly for their fees.
“I always understood that Titus and his wife had full visibility, they were on the portal, they had logins,” Sebastian said.
“I wrote songs … the least they could do was send an invoice.”
The Crown claims that Day, who led Sebastian through his 6 Degrees campaign from 2009 to 2017, embezzled Sebastian nearly $ 900,000 between 2013 and 2020.
But defense attorney Dominic Tumi SC said Day had an answer to every charge, and police may have been “seduced” by the artist’s high profile.